Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Oroma Elewa: African Style Icon





"My work is inspired by a vision I have for Africa and Africans. A vision of an Africa that shelters and respects individualism and for Africans, that the world's opinion of us is redirected" Oroma Elewa.


Oroma who is the editor of Pop Africana says she started the magazine as she is inspired by a vision of what she has for Africa and Africans. A vision of an Africa that shelters and respects individualism and for Africans.


 Her style to me is neither pretentious nor that of following trends. She has mastered the art of mixing and matching prints to a tee.


 One would be surprised to learn that Oroma has no publising experience at all and i guess its quite daring to then go on and decide to publish a magazine. A magazine which is at the forefront of presenting african fashion to the world. As she puts its 'I thought I could publish Pop'Africana on my own, the need to document the African experience and redirect the opinion of the African superseded the need to have everything in place first'.


She was also named by Vogue as one of rising style stars of 2011.


 I look to her as not only an african style icon but as a role model who believed in her dreams and went on to achieve them with no experience at all in the industry she was plunging into. If that isn't bravery I don't what is.




3 comments:

  1. simply had to follow! such an amazing post, really love the outfits and pictures!

    wishuponasmile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These images are just stunning, I would love to interview Oroma Elewa for my blog! She so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    What's the best way to you contact you regarding this post on Oroma?

    ReplyDelete